Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Number One Thing To Focus On In The Gym

One thing I always try to keep in mind throughout my day wether I'm at the gym or just walking around town is to stay focused on what I'm doing. With that being said it may sound like I'm trying to imply don't worry about anyone else but thats not it at all, what I mean is don't try and compare yourself to others. I struggled with this for the longest time especially when I first started out. As soon as you realize you will have no benefit from comparing yourself to others you will be able to achieve a lot more. At the gym anyone can become a victim of looking at others and think jeez why can't I look like that guy/ girl, or start to question what you're doing wrong. The next five sections I will go over why comparing yourself will not help you in anyway. 


It's a Losing Battle

Say you do start to compare yourself to others what are you actually going to achieve from it? If I look at someone else and start to compare both physiques sure chances are there will be areas I will think "well shit why can't I have that" or "why isn't this muscle as big as theirs". This comparison will lead to a negative mentality. Most of the time you will see someone who you think is better and will end up beating yourself up about what you have. This type of outcome can block your ability to see all the great things you have achieved already. Even if you may think someone is doing better than you that same person may be looking back and will start to see the great things you have! 

It Won't Help Achieve Your Goals

As I mentioned above when you have a negative mentality you tend to forget how far you have come which in the end won't help achieve your goals. When you go to the gym you need to be focused on what you're doing, get that mind-to-mucle connection and focus on what you need to do. Distractions are everywhere and no matter what you do there will always be some sort of negative influence around you. From there you just have to push through that and tell yourself if you want something you have never had before you need to do something you've never done before. Don't worry about what others are doing because you'll make it someday,  it may not be tomorrow or next week or next month but if you are consistent and determined you can and will reach your goals. 


You Don't Know Their Story

When you walk into the gym there will be a variety of people but everyone has a different story. Unless you get to know them you may never understand what they have or are going through so don't make a judgement based on their appearance. Without an understanding on someones background we tend to make assumptions. Now I'm sure you have all heard the phrase "when you assume you make an ass out of u and me". I have made assumptions when trying to compare myself to others and end up thinking I will never get to my goals. I have personally fallen into this because not too long ago I would see a guy come to the gym I work at who is jacked so I would look to see what he was doing that I wasn't especially since he didn't even look that old. Well we eventually started talking and turns out he used to compete in bodybuilding and has been lifting for 20 years. Now that I know that it gives me motivation to continue to push myself and can only imagine where I will be even in a year! 

Totally Different People

Ask yourself whats the point. In all honesty when you think about its like trying to compare an apple with an orange, sure they are both fruits but they're totally different at the same time. Now when you apply that to the gym just because some guy or girl has something you don't have doesn't mean you can't get it it just means you have to work for it. When training clients of mine I like to remind them what works for one person may not work for others and that is totally okay we just need to adapt and find what works. In the gym everyone can have a different goal from wanting to get a photoshoot ready body to being at the gym from doctors orders. My point is everyone is training for something different so we need to design something that will work for us and not follow what others are doing. Similar to not knowing someones story you don't know where they are even starting from and where they intend on going so focus on yourself. 

The Only One You Should Be Comparing

The only person you should compare yourself with is the person you were yesterday. That is your competition, today is a new day so keep pushing forward and when tomorrow comes aim to be even better. Be relentless and continue to push your self not only in the gym but outside of the gym as well.

Ronnie Vercruyssen,
"Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up"- Rocky Balboa 

No comments:

Post a Comment